Publishing Agreement & Royalty
(excluding for Editing Works and Monographs)
If a manuscript that has been evaluated is found suitable for publication, the author will sign an agreement with the publisher and he/she is eligible to receive royalty.
ADVANCE PAYMENT (academic books only)
An author may apply for an advance of RM2,000 (maximum). The application should be made on submission of the proposal. Justifications for an advance should be provided. Among the conditions for advance payment are:
1. For an unfinished manuscript, the author is required to complete the writing within a year and submit the complete manuscript for evaluation.
2. The advance received will be deducted from the royalty.
3. In the event the author does not complete the book within a year and a half from the signing of the agreement, the advance will be deducted from the author’s salary.
4. Authors who submit complete manuscripts may also apply for advance payments. They are required to complete the amendments (as recommended by assessors) within the time frame agreed upon after discussion with the editor.
ROYALTY PAYMENTS TO AUTHORS
1. Royalty payments to authors of academic and general books in
2. Malay and English are between 15 and 20% of the sale price based on the number of copies sold. This percentage is based on the quality, complexity and academic value of the book
3. (approved JKP 2/92).
4. Royalty payment for a sprint print book is 10% based on the number of copies sold.
5. In the event the work related to the writing of the book receives financial assistance from the university through the Universiti Utara Malaysia Publication Committee, the total assistance provided will be deducted from the total royalty received.
6. Contributors of journal articles are not entitled to royalty, but will be given 10 off-print articles and a free copy of the journal.
7. The calculation of royalty is based on the total sales calculated according to the financial year from January – December. Payment is made in February of each year.
1. For each publication in the academic book, general book, monograph and sprint print categories, the author is given 10 complimentary copies.
2. For every tittle of an edited work, published the editors will receive 10 complimentary copies, while each article contributor will receive a copy of the book.